Are you seeking to increase your community impact?
Are you interested in expanding your experiences by serving on a nonprofit Board of Directors?
Are you willing to commit to a program to learn how to be an effective Board Member?
If you answered yes to the above questions then you are a perfect candidate for the LBLA. The LBLA was created for Latinos who are interested in serving on nonprofit Boards and aligning the work of that Board to improve the lives of Silicon Valley Latinos.
The HFSV is presenting this Academy in partnership with the Center for Excellence in Nonprofits; CompassPoint; Notre Dame de Namur University; University of Phoenix; and the UC Santa Cruz Silicon Valley Campus (located in Santa Clara) where the LBLA will take place.
The Academy will:
- Recruit and train Latinos committed to serving on nonprofit Boards of Directors
- Train Academy Fellows about emerging models, frameworks, trends, and best practices in nonprofit governance
- Encourage LBLA graduate Fellows to be actively engaged in the HFSV and the general community
PROGRAM COMPONENTS & TIMELINE
The LBLA will be held from February 28 to May 3, 2018. Academy sessions will take place weekly on Tuesday or Wednesday from 5:00-9:00 p.m. and one Saturday from 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. A light dinner will be served at 5:00 p.m. prior to each Academy class. All sessions will take place at the UCSC Silicon Valley Campus, 3175 Bowers Avenue, Santa Clara, CA 95054 (Location is subject to change).
Preliminary Academy dates (subject to change):
- Wed. February 28
- Wed. March 7
- Wed. March 14
- Sat. March 17
- Wed. March 21
- Wed. March 28
- Wed. April 4
- Wed. April 11
- Tues. April 17
- Wed. April 25
- Wed. May 3
The LBLA tentative curriculum/schedule is:
Session 1: Wednesday, February 28th
LBLA Fellow Orientation and Introduction to the HFSV
Session 2: Wednesday, March 7th
History of Silicon Valley-Nonprofit Sector
Session 3: Wednesday, March 4th
Board Roles & Responsibilities: Governance Basics and Promising Practices
Session 4: Saturday, March 17th
Personal Branding & Career Workshop
Session 5: Wednesday, March 21st
Financial Responsibilities Part I
Session 6: Wednesday, March 28th
Financial Responsibilities Part II
Session 7: Wednesday, April 4th
Session 8: Wednesday, April 11th
Boards in Action
Session 9: Tuesday, April 17th
The Board’s Role in Organizational Sustainability
Session 10: Wednesday, April 25th
Fellows & Nonprofit Match Night
Graduation Celebration & Dinner: Wednesday, May 3rd
Each applicant must:
- Be at least 50% Latino
- Have completed a 4 year College Degree
- Be interested in her/his personal leadership development and growth
- Have a strong desire to gain a deep understanding of nonprofit governance and roles and responsibilities of a nonprofit board member
- Be interested in learning about emerging board governance and leadership trends and new practices
- Be willing to try new ideas and be open to feedback
- Be committed to improving the lives of Silicon Valley Latinos
- Be committed to sit on a nonprofit board upon completing the LBLA
HOW TO APPLY
We hope you will be able to take advantage of this unique program. To apply please complete the application below. Thank you for considering this opportunity.
This application and your resume must be submitted no later than close of business day, 5:00 p.m. (PST), Thursday, February 1, 2018. Please click the Submit Resume button below the application to upload your resume. Your application is considered incomplete until your resume is received.
For questions contact us at 408-216-7612 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
ACADEMY APPLICATION FORM